Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve - The End of 2008

Well, I can't believe that 2008 is almost over and 2009 is about to begin. Also, can't believe that it's been 3 months since I've updated our blog. Time flies, yada, yada. Not sure what I am doing updating it right now. I have 30+ people coming this evening for a New Year's Eve party and I should be getting ready for that but nope! - I am sitting in my pj's updating our blog.

We've had a good 2008. Paul's business has been steady and he will be without a partner in 2009 so will have more control over the directi
on of the business. Katie finished 6th grade and is half-way through 7th and loving every minute of it. I've cut my hospital work from 64 hours a month to 32 hours so I'm enjoying a more normal life with a couple of weekends off so with my real school job - I'm still staying busy.

As I reported earlier this year, Katie had a wonderful month at
Camp Honey Creek for Girls in Hunt and was chosen Dream Girl (outstanding camper for her age group) by the director and best Cabinmate by her cabin.

Katie's in 7th grade now and turned 13 in November. We had an outdoor birthday party with all of her friends and a new cellphone as the big present. Unlimited texting, of course.


Katie is staying busy with tennis, cello at school and she also
plays in the Hill Country Youth Orchestra. This picture was taken on stage at our new Cailloux Theater during Katie's Christmas concert. This was much more formal than her school concert the week before - black velvet gown and all! With MILES of hem that had to be taken up before it could be worn!


Our BIG NEWS for 2008 is that Paul and I will become grandparents around May 20th of 2009. Paul and Martha are expecting and we found out a couple of nights ago (after the sonagram) that it is going to be a boy! Paul and Martha want us to think about what we want the baby to call us - any suggestions? I think he will call us whatever he can pronounce.

Our other news for those of you who have b
een waiting YEARS to stay in our barn/guest house (you know who you are - Donna) - is that we are actually many steps closer to completing that project. After many moves, my mom's death, Shelton Ranch's demise, we accumulated a ton of stuff. This summer, I asked our older children to give us two days of their time as their Christmas gift to us in order to get the barn cleaned out so we could start the remodeling process.

At first they didn't want to participate but I told them it was fine - they could wait until
Paul and I died and they could clean it out then. (Was that blackmail???) Anyway, they all made good on their promise and spent two long days going through boxes, sorting, threatening, cajoling us into getting rid of stuff. THEY WERE RUTHLESS!!! The result was 4 1/2 tons of junk went to the landfill, a car load of teacher materials was donated to my school, another load went to Salvation Army and a huge pile of old papers were burned. Paul and I were allowed to keep a few things but each item was examined by the "Wrecking Crew" for it's worthiness to be kept.
We have been threatened with our lives if we put ANYTHING in there until we g
et it remodeled. My daughter scares me and we have been warned. It was hard work, physically and emotionally but fun to be with all of our children and their spouses. We laughed alot and we know Paul and I will be the subject of joking for years to come. I have to admit - I couldn't believe the amount we had accumulated. BUT, it is done and it has prompted me to do the same in the house. Here are a couple of photos from THE EVENT!!! This was one of four loads that went to the landfill.

That is about all to share right now. We
miss all of our family and friends who are far away and just know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
HAPPY NEW YEAR and best wishes for a bright 2009!

**For those of you who haven't seen the family in a while - Left to right: Camy, Katie,
Paul Sr., Jason & Lisa Johnson, Martha and Paul Simone Jr.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your blog Chris. I really must get one started! I will send you an invite to my Facebook. Your family looks great and I am so happy to hear about the grandson!

Unknown said...

Forgot to mention that lc_kelly is really Che Kelly in San Antonio...duh!